WELCOME

Welcome to BURY ART SOCIETY official blog.

Enjoy your visit.

Carl Jacobs


Born in Manchester in 1947, my earliest recollection was drawing at every opportunity. At School, Art was by far my most favourite subject. I went onto Art College gaining a diploma in Graphic Art and Design followed by a much enjoyed career in Advertising, eventually setting up my own successful business. I had the good fortune to be able to retire early and spend more of my time on doing the thing I love the most, painting.

My work is a combination of my imagination along with photographs I have taken whilst on holiday in Cornwall and Europe. I use fine lines and blocks of colour to create an interesting semi-abstract fragmented composition. Although my work may be based on an actual place, my painting process relies more on a personal feeling for the essence of a moment in time.

I work mainly in acrylics because of their versatility and quick drying properties. They can be used similar to oils or when thinned, like watercolour and suit my method of working perfectly.

I have been an active member of Bury Art Society for ten years and am now programme secretary, the past five years of which I have successfully exhibited at Bury Art Gallery receiving several very highly commended awards by the Judges and in 2005, 2006 and 2007 winning the People’s Prize. Also in 2005, I won an Internet Art Competition and that September I donated a painting, which was sold at auction, at North Manchester Hospital, to raise funds for a local Leukaemia Research charity. I am also asked to give demonstrations, talks and workshops to Art Groups which are very well received.

Selected Shows or Exhibitions of my work:

Bury Metropolitan Rework Exhibition.
Whittakers Gallery, Rawtenstall
Last Drop Inn, Bolton
Worsley Festival
Blythe Gallery, Manchester
Coach House, Littleborough
Visitor Centre, Hollingworth Lake, Rochdale
No.10 Gallery, Rochdale
Hawarth Gallery, Accrington
Mevagissey Fine Arts Gallery, Cornwall
Upper Deck Gallery, Fraddon, Cornwall
The Gallery, Liverpool
Mooch Gallery, the Triangle, Manchester

1 comment:

  1. Carl I belong to Salford Art Club and wonder if you still do demonstrations.
    Philip Westcott

    ReplyDelete